Looking for a Pet Sitter in Leander and Surrounding Areas?
Call/Text: 512-766-5025 or Email: leanderpetcare@gmail.com

Top 5 of the Most Poisonous Halloween Candy for Dogs

hWhen your dog looks up at you with those big pleading eyes, it may be tempting to give him just a bit of your Halloween candy.  We should never share candy with our dogs because:

  • spiked blood sugar levels, leading to hyperactivity and anxiety
  • digestive problems
  • tooth decay
  • high sugar food can contribute to diabetes

According to the Pet Poison Helpline, calls increase by 12 percent, making Halloween their busiest time of year. “Each year we experience a sharp increase in calls around Halloween, especially during the weekends surrounding the holiday,” said Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, assistant director at Pet Poison Helpline.

  1. Candy Apples.  Although sliced apples are okay to feed your dog, apple seeds are not.  Apple seeds contain chemical compounds that are poisonous to animals.
  2. Chocolate-Covered Macadamia Nuts.  Similar to grapes and raisins, studies have been inconclusive on why macadamia nuts has an ill effect on dogs.
  3. Candy Corn, Skittles, Starburst and Other High Sugar Candy.  Canine digestive systems were not made to process high-sugar foods, which can cause diarrhea and gas.
  4. Gum and Other Sugar-Free Candy.  Many sugar-free foods contain the sugar substitute xylitol.  The ingestion of xylitol or xylitol-containing products causes a rapid release of the hormone insulin, causing a sudden decrease in the dog’s blood glucose.  This chemical is extremely toxic to dogs, and may cause vomiting, lethargy, seizures and even liver failure.
  5. Chocolate Covered Raisins.  This combination is a double whammy for dogs.  Chocolate can cause severe illness or death in dogs; the darker the chocolate is, the more toxic it is.  Raisins can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and even sudden kidney failure in dogs.

pumpkin3It is important to teach children from a young age what is and is not okay for the family pet to eat.  If you suspect
that your dog has ingested a toxic food or substance, please immediately call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435.  Have a safe and Happy Halloween!